Sunday, January 19, 2014

Reading Journal

I don't know about everyone else, but I have the hardest time making sure my kids are reading during independent times throughout the day.  I mean, who knows that they are actually doing during silent reading or during read to partner time.  We all have that 1 or 10 kids that they just glare at the page and end up reading like 2 pages during a 20 minute silent reading time.  So, I created this reading journal to hold them accountable for their own learning!

I started using them this past week.  I printed off the pages, made them into individual books.  The best part, is that all kids can use the organizer for ANY chapter book they are reading.  I like how kids are required to write down the page they started on before reading and the page they finish on after their reading.  They are also required to answer one or two questions with a variety of reading skills.

Here is this link to this journal  
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Reading-Journal-for-ANY-chapter-book-1065808


 Reading Journal


Here are the skills addressed in these journals:
Predicting
Summarizing
Main Idea
Text to Self Connection
Text to Text Connection
Compare/Contract
Character Traits
Setting
Ask a character a question
Ask the author a question
Conflict/Resolution


 How do you hold your kids accountable for learning?  I'd love to hear ideas.  The first 3 people to leave a comment on my blog, I will send you this product for free! Make sure to leave your email address in your post.

2 comments:

  1. We use stickies to target a specific skill. Then write about it in our reading notebooks. I just finished teaching the 6 signposts from a book called Notice and Note, which is great for getting kids to think about their reading. We usually look for these signposts while reading. I like the idea of your product as a way to add variety to this procedure. Kids need us to switch things up on them! Looks neat!
    kenney.anne@oakwoodschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look up the Notice and Note book, it sounds great! I'm emailing you the product shortly. Thanks for responding and enjoy!

    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete